Thursday, February 4, 2010


This is just a small anecdote.

Tonight, I finished a small Perl 5 script that I've been wanting to complete for a while, but where I was a bit nervous that I'd fsck it up right and good.

It was a script designed to handle two tab-separated text sources; one a list of tournament IDs and tournament names, the other a list of player results, one line per result with the player ID, tournament name, position and score achieved.

I achieved this by creating a hash of hashes for each file, referencing the first while parsing the other, and bravely inserting the data into a single database table.

I tested my code piece for piece while building it, which is sensible in itself, but what spooked me was this:

There was not a single bug. The script did what it was supposed to do, all along.

That's not supposed to happen.

I need a drink.

No comments: