Friday, April 13, 2012

Oslo.pm Perl 6 Patterns Hackathon 2012

In one week (2012-04-20 – 2012-04-22), a bunch of bright people will attend the Perl 6 Patterns Hackathon in Oslo.

Perl 6 – both its specification and implementations – will become one of the Great Ones. I admit that we are not quite there yet, but to me, Perl 6 is a language for the long term.

In one of the meetings krunen, sjn and I had this winter, we discussed this, and how to get there. I hope the Perl 6 Patterns Hackathon will contribute significantly, and I also hope that in 30-60 years, we will look back and be happy about most of the choices made around this time! I truly believe that we can get there!

Call for sponsor matching

In this spirit, Ingvoldstad IT decided to sponsor this hackathon with NOK 5,000 (≈ EUR 650), and I hereby call for other companies who develop software* to match this amount. Oslo.pm will put those money to good use!


I hope to see you in Oslo in a week!


* I did not write "Perl" here, because I think that is largely irrelevant. Perl 6 is an amalgam of many of the most interesting programming language features, and offers a very compelling path to those who want a next-generation language after the current versions of e.g. Perl, Python, and Ruby.

No comments: